I am a healthy, fit, 47 year-old man with high cholesterol, good family history for heart disease, bad for diabetes. Should I take a statin?

Dr. Yu Sun
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not first

Stain treatment is not the only choice, you have good family history for heart disase but bad for diabetes, the firs thing for the high cholesterol is the a balanced diet and regular exercise.
Statin have a bad effect on the metabolism of blood sugar.

In brief: Not first

Dr. Yu Sun
Dr. Yu Sun
Dr. Hanriet Minasian

In brief: Depends

What are your breakdown of your cholesterol numbers such as your ldl, hdl, and triglycerides? You want to always start with a low fat diet and exercise as treatment.
If not successful, depending on your lipid profile, there are alternative treatments such as fish oils at high doses, niacin, fiber, red yeast, etc, but these depend on your numbers. If not successful, then consider statin.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Hanriet Minasian
Dr. Hanriet Minasian
Dr. Marsha Davis