I stop lifting weights because of degenerative disc disease. Could I go back to lifting weights or even go back to the gym.?

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Yes with lifestyle
Changes incorporating an exercise routines hat can include weights but avoid heavy weights and deadlifts utilizing a bench for these workouts with lower weights and higher reps, proper weight control, smoking cessation, possible use of a back support, making sure your mattress is good and sometimes use of over the counter medications if no medical reasons not for their use.
Exercise is key!

In brief: Yes with lifestyle
Exercise is key!
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Absolutely
Strength training is key to fighting back pain/problems.
I wouldn't "max out", but a program to build strength and lean muscle mass would be great in the long run.

In brief: Absolutely
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine