Severe acne scars on forehead, and the sides of the face. Besides dermabrasion & other skin resurfacing treatments how can I achieve clear skin again?

Dr. Alexander Rivkin
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Don't give up!

Deep acne scars are a tough problem. Laser resurfacing, in my opinion, is the best way to improve the appearance.
It is rarely a one time treatment, however. We use active fx and deep fx and repeat the treatment a few times (we wait a few months between treatments to evaluate the effect) for maximal benefit.

In brief: Don't give up!

Dr. Alexander Rivkin
Dr. Alexander Rivkin
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Seek consultation

If you still have active acne, seek a dermatologist to get control of the acne first, then you can address the scarring.
Next, seek consultation with a qualified facial plastic surgeon. There are different modalities available, but it depends on your exact condition. Very deep "ice pick" scars sometimes do best with excision. Great improvements are possible. Best wishes!

In brief: Seek consultation

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Acne scars

It is unlikely that your skin will be clear but it can be improved.
Treatment must be based on addressing the active disease (usually with oral retinoids and/or systemic or topical antibiotics and skin care regimen) and then using other methods to address the established scars. This can include peels, lasers, dermabrasion, surgery, grafts, fillers, grafts, etc.

In brief: Acne scars

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Steven Harris
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Only limited options

These are the best available options.
Occasionally, when there is a cluster of severe scars in one area, that entire area can be excised so as to remove multiple acne scars in exchange for one narrow, flat, linear scar. This is placed so as to be as inconspicuous as possible. In patients over about 40 years of age, skin tightening procedures ("mini-facelift") might also help.

In brief: Only limited options

These are the best available options.
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Steven Harris
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: No guarantee

No treatment will guarantee complete resolution of acne scars.
You mentioned dermoabrasion, was it done using chemical peels or laser peeling? Laser peeling seems to be more effective, but again, no guarantee. I'd strongly recommend discussing your options with a dermatologist. If your acne are deep ones, as i mentioned again, there may no complete resolution.

In brief: No guarantee

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc