After lasik and a normal 1 year post op follow up, do I need to see optho routinely if I have no problems?

Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Routine followup
It is important to maintain annual followup after the procedure to watch for other eye problems or long term issues after laser eye surgery.

In brief: Routine followup
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Peter Corrado
In brief: Answer is yes
Happily your vision is improved and after one year no new problems have occured.
Now what to do. I don't think you need to see the optho every few months. However, i would recommend a regular eye exam at least every one or two years. This will insure that your eyes stay healthy and that no new conditions are occuring. You still need to monitor for cataracts, macular degeneration and glacoma.

In brief: Answer is yes
Dr. Peter Corrado
Dr. Peter Corrado
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Ophthalmology
In brief: It's a good idea
Depending on your age, if you are young and healthy it's recommended to have an eye exam every two years or so.
If you're over 40 it's best to have an eye exam once a year. Over the age of 40 there are increased risks of glaucoma, dry eye syndrome, macular degeneration to name a few.

In brief: It's a good idea
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology
In brief: Over 50?
Any patient over 50 needs yearly followup, regardless of whether they have have refractive surgery.
Lasik patients can develop late dry eyes, and so routine followup is probably a good idea for them too.

In brief: Over 50?
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Beth Friedland
Ophthalmology
Yes, but it also depends oun your age, and other health risks.
If you have diabetes, or a family history of glaucoma, you should see your eye care provider every year. Most younger patients under 40 can be seen every 2 years after refractive surgery.

Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Steven Seres