Had an echo for palpitations and murmur that was normal with an av excursion of 2.8cm & ef of 70%. What else can I do to address these symptoms?

Dr. Richard Humes
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Get the right test

Generally speaking, getting an echo for palpitations is kind of useless over-testing which does not address the symptom. Palpitations suggest a rhythm problem and the rhythm should try and be captured during the symptom, either with a 24 hour holter monitor or a 30-day event monitor depending upon the frequency and duration of the symptoms.

In brief: Get the right test

Dr. Richard Humes
Dr. Richard Humes
Dr. Beatrice Onygadoor

In brief: Palpitations

I believe echo did not reveal mitral valve prolapse since no mention was made of it.
Get thyroid function tests. Avoid stimulants suh as coffe, caffein containing tea Pseudoephedrine which is contained in many over the counter cold and "flu" remedies. Please be aware that many over the counter supplements and energy drinks are laden with caffein.. Finally, consider evaluation for anxiety.

In brief: Palpitations

Dr. Beatrice Onygadoor
Dr. Beatrice Onygadoor
Dr. Steven Seres