I have asthma. I am a male, slightly overweight I have been told I snore alot, very loudly. How can I fix this? I am driving people crazy, please help

Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Sleep study
First, you need a sleep study to determine if you have sleep apnea.
A sleep study will determine its presence, it's severity and guide treatment. If you have sleep apnea and you begin using either CPAP or bibap, your symptoms should improve and you should feel less tired in the daytime, too. If you don't have sleep apnea, there are treatments available to help with your snoring. Good luck!

In brief: Sleep study
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
2 comments
Dr. James Glauber
You said "slightly overweight", but slightly means different things to different people. You should know that sleep apnea is much more common in overweight people and that weight loss can improve this condition.
Dr. Helena Bentley
Losing weight will increase the effectiveness of all therapies.
Dr. Maya Porrino
In brief: Sleep study
It is possible that you have sleep apnea.
I recommend seeing your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms, and possibly have a sleep study ordered. Weight loss will help with the snoring.

In brief: Sleep study
Dr. Maya Porrino
Dr. Maya Porrino
Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: OSA
Sounds like you may have obstructive sleep apnea.
You should see your doctor for evaluation. You would benefit from undergoing a sleep study. In the meantime, try lying down on your sides rather than on your back. It's also possible that you have allergic rhinitis as it is commonly seen in asthmatics. Try using saline nasal spray or taking antihistamines at bedtime. Work on weight loss.

In brief: OSA
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. David Duhon
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: Possible sleep apnea
Snoring indicates that there is narrowing in the upper airway - the throat.
Very loud snorers usually have some degree of obstructive sleep apnea, which can cause dangerous drops in blood oxygen during sleep. Discuss this with your primary care doctor, or consult a sleep specialist.

In brief: Possible sleep apnea
Dr. David Duhon
Dr. David Duhon
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Maybe just snoring
Very loud snoring is one symptom of sleep apnea.
Typically patients with this serious problem have several symptoms - daytime fatigue, inability to concentrate, falling asleep while driving or watching tv, waking unrefreshed in the morning, waking up frequently at night. Try to take off 10 pounds. Then try really hard to keep it off. If snoring persists see your physician about a sleep study.

In brief: Maybe just snoring
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology