I can't avoid some of my asthma triggers, is it safe to use my steroid inhaler?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Consider alternative
Few people prescribed steroid inhalers get by without them. When they try they have a poorer quality of life, use other asthma medications excessively & have asthma episodes requiring oral steroids to prevent death or hospitalization.
Five days of oral Prednisone is the equivalent of 2-4 years of daily inhaled steroids. Inhaled steroids are safe & effective with minor side-effects. Don't be fooled.

In brief: Consider alternative
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Pediatrics - Pulmonology
Yes, inhaled corticosteroid inhalers are usually very safe to use, if used under the guidance of a physician and in appropriate dosages, depending on your age and disease severity.
Like all medications, there are risks involved and certain side effects that your doctor will discuss with you.

Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Yes...
Steroid inhalers, when used as your doctor prescribes, is very safe and effective.
Very little of the steroid in the inhaler is absorbed systemically, thus reducing the side effects of systemic steroids.

In brief: Yes...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Totally safe. You need to be aggressive about keeping your asthma under control.

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jonathan Jassey