I am a healthy 70 year old man, never smoked etc., not overweight and my BP was 120 over 90. Would you prescribe BP medicine, if so what kind?

Dr. Steven Bowers

In brief: Not yet.

First i would have you repeat the BP at home and at another office visit to determine that it is persistently high.
A six to eight week trial of lifestyle adjustment may be warranted. This would include reduced salt intake, eliminating alcohol and increased aerobic exercise. Obviously, not smoking and maintaining a healthy weight are already under control in your case.

In brief: Not yet.

Dr. Steven Bowers
Dr. Steven Bowers
Dr. Vicken Poochikian