What can I do if my abdominal ultrasound shows that my baby is in the breech position?

In brief: Wait it out

Babies do change positions during pregnancy so it could switch by next week.
If it doesn't switch naturally, sometimes the OB can try a turning maneuver called a version to turn it., but this has some risks. If you go to full term as a breach expect a surgical delivery.

In brief: Wait it out

Dr. Robert Benner

In brief: Discuss your options

If the baby is breech at an early ultrasound, this has no significance.
If it is in the last 3-4 weeks, then you have some choices to make. The baby can be turned to head down by a procedure called a version. This works about half the time. Some doctors will advise a c-section, and a few may even still offer a vaginal breech delivery depending on the circumstances. The baby might even turn itself!

In brief: Discuss your options

Dr. Robert Benner
Dr. Robert Benner
Dr. Brian Nguyen

In brief: Depends on gestation

Among breech babies, >50% switch to cephalic at 32wks, and it even happens at 38wks spontaneously.
OBGYNs can perform a VERSION to flip baby at term, but DON'T TRY @ HOME. Doctors can do this at 37 weeks and even at the time you plan to have a C-Section they can try one last time under anesthesia. Moxibustion/acupuncture may also help earlier on.

In brief: Depends on gestation

Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Brian Nguyen
Dr. Adam Levy