Is a biopsy the only way to differentiate between prostatitis and prostate cancer?

Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Usually
A biopsy is the gold standard to not only confirm cancer but to get information on the aggressiveness of the cancer. In rare cases such as a very high psa and with an enlarged prostate or with bone involvement it may be sufficient to assume a diagnosis of prostate cancer.

In brief: Usually
Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Dr. Ritesh Rathore
In brief: PROSTATITIS
I agree that the only way to reliably determine this is a biopsy, but rate of rise of psa andconcomitant symptoms associated with this may be helpful.
A test called pca3 may be helpful as well.

In brief: PROSTATITIS
Dr. Howard Usitalo
Dr. Howard Usitalo
Dr. Vicken Poochikian