Should a person recently recovering from phlebitis in the saphenous vein avoid air travel? Precautions?

Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Not TED hose
I agree with dr. Kohl about the risk of getting a DVT with long airplane flights.
It is recommended that if you are on a flight that is longer than 2 hours, you should wear graduated compression stockings. Anti-embolism stockings (such as teds hose) don't supply enough compression for someone who is up and active. Besides wearing compression stockings your should get up and walk too.

In brief: Not TED hose
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology
In brief: Precautions
You can fly.I advise patients to do several things when they fly or drive for greater than 2 hours.
Wear knee length compression stockings 20-30mmhg. Get up and move around every 2-3h hours to exercise the calf muscles to increase the calf muscle pump and improve the venous return and i also advise taking a baby Aspirin the night before the trip and day of the trip so adequate levels are present.

In brief: Precautions
Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Travel Medicine
In brief: Caution Air Travel
Blood clots in the veins of the legs are a common problem with flying.
The seats impede blood flow, sitting immobile (esp on flights greater than 6 hours), and mild dehydration all contribute. Phlebitis increases risk further. Discuss your plans with your doctor to find out when it will be safe to fly. Precautions: you will need fitted anti-embolism stockings and maybe some medication.

In brief: Caution Air Travel
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Phlebitis
Air plane travel is a risk factor for blood clots Use of compression stockings are helpful to aid in vein blood flow return at a more rapid pace when sitting in a confined space for prolonged periods If you have a current phlebitis plane travel may not be advisable

In brief: Phlebitis
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Cindy Juster