Should a person recently recovering from phlebitis in the saphenous vein avoid air travel? Precautions?

Not TED hose. I agree with dr. Kohl about the risk of getting a DVT with long airplane flights. It is recommended that if you are on a flight that is longer than 2 hours, you should wear graduated compression stockings. Anti-embolism stockings (such as teds hose) don't supply enough compression for someone who is up and active. Besides wearing compression stockings your should get up and walk too.
Precautions. You can fly.I advise patients to do several things when they fly or drive for greater than 2 hours. Wear knee length compression stockings 20-30mmhg. Get up and move around every 2-3h hours to exercise the calf muscles to increase the calf muscle pump and improve the venous return and i also advise taking a baby Aspirin the night before the trip and day of the trip so adequate levels are present.
Caution Air Travel. Blood clots in the veins of the legs are a common problem with flying. The seats impede blood flow, sitting immobile (esp on flights greater than 6 hours), and mild dehydration all contribute. Phlebitis increases risk further. Discuss your plans with your doctor to find out when it will be safe to fly. Precautions: you will need fitted anti-embolism stockings and maybe some medication.
Phlebitis. Air plane travel is a risk factor for blood clots Use of compression stockings are helpful to aid in vein blood flow return at a more rapid pace when sitting in a confined space for prolonged periods If you have a current phlebitis plane travel may not be advisable.