I heard using cold milk as an eyewash is good for your eyes. Is this true? Could it be harmful?

Dr. Gary Wortz
Ophthalmology

In brief: Don't do it

While I have never taken care of a patient who has done this, i cannot think of a single reason to think this would be a good idea.
I would recommend using an eyewash or simply artificial tears.

In brief: Don't do it

Dr. Gary Wortz
Dr. Gary Wortz
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: No

Cold milk as a routine eye wash is neither good nor bad for the eyes.
The only use for milk as an eyewash is if you get pepper spray or actual pepper food dust in your eyes. The fat in the milk will then help dissolve out the stinging particles.

In brief: No

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Majid Moshirfar
Please avoid using cold milk even as an eyewash for paper spray injury. Please irrigate your eye with ample amount of clean water and seek medical attention
Dr. Beth Friedland
Ophthalmology

In brief: No, but not helpful

Cold milk is only advisable if you do not have acess to sterile saline to irrigate your eyes.
The lipids in milk may have a negligible effect on certain fat soluble sprays such as tear gas (cloroacetophenone), or pepper spray.

In brief: No, but not helpful

Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. David Speck
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not beneficial

Your own tears contain 30+ disease fighting chemicals.
I usually don't recommend "washing" the eyes with anything foreign unless you get dust or a chemical in them. Sounds like a waste of good milk.

In brief: Not beneficial

Dr. David Speck
Dr. David Speck
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Ophthalmology

In brief: Use water

If your goal is to rinse something out of the eye, use plain water or over the counter eye wash.
If your goal is to lubricate the eye, use over the counter artifical tears. Milk is not sterile and holds no benefits that I am aware of. The primary ingredient in your own tears is water, so i'd stick with that.

In brief: Use water

Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Bruce Saran
Ophthalmology

In brief: Could be-better not

What is your "purpose" of using eye drops? If its for common problems such as dry eye or eye allergies.
There are drops that are specifically formulated for these problems. They are better choices. These come in different strengths depending upon the severity of your problems and your eye doctor can help you choose the best one for you. I don't know any study that shows milk to be beneficial.

In brief: Could be-better not

Dr. Bruce Saran
Dr. Bruce Saran
Dr. Price Kloess
Ophthalmology

In brief: Not a good idea

This is not a good idea.

In brief: Not a good idea

This is not a good idea.
Dr. Price Kloess
Dr. Price Kloess
Dr. Andrea Brand