Do I need a statin? My LDL is 140 but my HDL is 110.

Pathology

In brief: Depends

An HDL of 110 is higher than usual.
You may wish to have the test repeated to make sure the values are right. It is usually not a good idea to treat lab results. Your doctor needs to look at risk factors for heart disease before prescribing statin.

In brief: Depends

An HDL of 110 is higher than usual.
Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Check Correct Issues

Best check actual lipoprotein values by NMR lipoprofile, <$100: LDL is always in nmol/l, best <700, HDL in µmol/l, large HDL best >10.
These are the correct issues. Lipoproteins carry all fat molecules (including cholesterol) in the water outside cells. (cholesterol is a fat molecule made by every cell, promoted for lower test price but is not correct, the ldl-c value is only estimated).

In brief: Check Correct Issues

Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology