Normally how long after open abdominal surgery for gallbladder removal before yoga and light cardio workouts can resume without causing more pain?

Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
General Practice

In brief: Consult your surgeon

I recommend that you consult your surgeon about the risk and befits of the surgery as well as what to expect for outcome and recovery.
Wishing you the best.

In brief: Consult your surgeon

Wishing you the best.
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Bariatrics

In brief: 6 weeks

Open abdominal surgery involves cutting through layers of muscle tissue.
This can take 6 weeks to heal, sometimes more if patients are older or diabetic. I recommend avoiding abdominal crunches or other abdominal toning exercises for 6 weeks. You can usually restart mild aerobic exercise in 2-3 weeks. Remember, "no pain, no gain" does not apply after surgery. If it hurts, back off for a week.

In brief: 6 weeks

Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Kenneth Foreman
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery