A solid benign thyroid nodule that is not a goiter and normal TSH levels. What is it?

Dr. Samuel Freedman

In brief: Nodule

I presume its been biopsied.
If its benign it likely represents inflammation from autoimmune thyroid disease. Continue to monitor it carefully - if it is single and getting larger it may require a second biopsy or removal.

In brief: Nodule

I presume its been biopsied.
Dr. Samuel Freedman
Dr. Samuel Freedman
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: A growth

If it's indeed "benign" (by biopsy) and the TSH is "normal", then this is just a growth on your thyroid (just like a growth anywhere else).
The problem with biopsy is not all the nodule is cancerous, that is, there could be a little fleck of cancer within the nodule that can be missed during the biopsy process. That's why we recommend serial followup and not just stop after a benign biopsy.

In brief: A growth

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Quang Nguyen
By serial followup, I mean through ultrasound looking for changes in the size of the nodule (not by serial biopsy). If the ultrasound next year looks exactly the same as this year, then you don't need another biopsy. You will still need another U/S down the line and so on and so on....
Dr. Quang Nguyen
If it's already causing compressive symptoms, it should be taken out. I'm glad your surgery is already scheduled. You will know for sure what it is once the whole thing is out and the pathologist can work with more materials. Good luck.

In brief: Adenoma

If there is a solitary thyroid gland nodule, that has been removed and examined under a microscrope using sections taken from the tumor, is called an adenoma.
If there is invasion, then it is a carcinoma. There are some rare benign tumors (teratoma, solitary fibrous tumor, trabecular hyalinizing tumor) that could be a benign thyroid tumor.

In brief: Adenoma

Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Lester Thompson
Dr. Marsha Davis