Just diagnosed with macular degeration. What is the prognosis? What can I do to help myself?

Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery
In brief: Two types
1. Dry age-related macular degeneration: treated with areds vitamins, tobacco cessation.
2. Wet age-related macular degeneration: intravitreal injections of anti-vegf molecules like avastin, lucentis, (ranibizumab) or eylea. See a retina specialist.

In brief: Two types
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Dr. Richard Scartozzi
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: See a retinologist
Macular degeneration is a compromise of the circulation to the center, critical vision of the eye(s).
The course is highly variable but you should start the areds formula supplement and if you have the "wet" form your retinal specialist can assist with a terrific pharmaceutical. You may have a clue to the time course for yourself if you have family members with the condition.

In brief: See a retinologist
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger