What can be done about a hiatal hernia?

Surgical repair. Not all hiatal hernias need to be repaired. The common type I hernia causes gerd, and is usually treated medically, but sometimes requires surgery because medecial therapy doesn't work. Type ii hernias usually require surgery if symptoms are present, because there is no effective medical therapy. Hiatal hernias are repaired laparoscopically, so most people tolerate surgery very well.
Hiatal hernia. Hiatal hernias are are very common and often without any symptoms at all. It is not like a groin hernia that one worries about stragulation or need for surgery. Often associated symptoms are reflux which is really caused by a weakened lower esophageal sphincter and not the hernia---ie hearburn, indigestion etc.