I have been diagnosed with SEVERE insomnia. Cant fall/stay asleep. I'm begging you to give me an example of a good med that doesn't cause weight gain. Please help!

In brief: Some basics

1. Maintain a regular bedtime and awakening time schedule including weekends.
Get up about the same time every day, regardless of what time you fell asleep. 2. Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine. Relaxing rituals prior to bedtime many include a warm bath or shower, aroma therapy, reading, or listening to soothing music. 3. Sleep in a room that is dark, quiet, comfortable, and cool;.

In brief: Some basics

Sleep on comfortable mattress and pillows. 4. Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex. Have work materials, computers, and TVs in another room. 5. Finish eating at least 2-3 hours prior to your regular bedtime. 6. Avoid caffeine within 6 hours; alcohol & smoking within 2 hours of bedtime. 7. Exercise regularly; finish a few hours before bedtime. 8. Avoid naps. 9. Go to bed only when sleepy. Lay in bed only for sleeping, not for work or watching TV. 10. Designate another time to write down problems & possible solutions in the late afternoon or early evening, not close to bedtime. 11. After 10-15 minutes of not being able to get to sleep, go to another room to read or watch TV until sleepy.
Dr. Su Fairchild
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Test

See your doctor first.
Then look up the genocept test by genomind. This checks genetics on a number of things, including mthfr and comt. These genes affect how neurotransmitters are made and broken down, which can affect sleep. It also checks how some medications might be metabolized by you. Also consider checking salivary cortisol levels by 24 hr test.

In brief: Test

See your doctor first.