Why does gout start in the big toe, and then after the attack it all turns black and blue?

Dr. Pierre Moeser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Cool
Gout often happens in a cool joint where uric acid crystallizes.
The toes are the coolest joints in the body being furthest from the heart where the blood is the warmest. Gout does not usually leave joints black and blue.

In brief: Cool
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Pierre Moeser
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
In brief: Usual/unusual
Gout frequently but not always manifests in the big toe (1st MTP joint) but can also involve any other joint and it is no fun at all, no matter which joint or joints it hits.
Turning black and blue afterward is unusual in my experience and indicates that something else may be going on.

In brief: Usual/unusual
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
In brief: Great toe
Joint is the most common, but it can start in any joint.
Acute inflammation may cause the color changes.

In brief: Great toe
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Dr. Peter Kurzweil