My mother has demintia , a doctor told me that her carotid artary is 55% blocked and if it gets uncloged, the demintia will go away, is this true?

Dr. Kevin Daus

In brief: Dementia

Blocked arteries can be a cause but there are other causes of dementia.
See a neurologist and have him/her work up other causes for dementia. A neurologist does not do surgery so there is no bias to do procedures. You will be glad to have gotten more information before you jump into surgery. I do surgery myself and am never upset when patients get another opinion.

In brief: Dementia

Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Milton Alvis Jr
Preventive Medicine

In brief: OddsLow, Tx Basis

Ischemic dementia (multiple small unrecognized strokes), begin detectable current technology mris in people's 30s, & 1 of the most common mechanisms for dementia + associated with alzheimer's.
Artery ds starts childhood yet asymptomatic for decades. Any clots responsible dementia already gone to brain; no longer in carotid. Narrowing due to scared down previous clots. Get NMR particle test, hba1c.

In brief: OddsLow, Tx Basis

Dr. Milton Alvis Jr
Dr. Milton Alvis Jr
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: Hard to say

Ask for more information and if it still does not make sense consider getting another opinion.

In brief: Hard to say

Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Timothy Wu
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Absolutely not.

Presuming the physician you talked to was prescribing a carotid endarterectomy or a stenting of the carotid artery, there is absolutely no evidence that this has any effect on the outcome of dementia.
Carotid operations are designed for stroke prevention and that's it. Multi-infarct dementia is a disease of the small vessels in the brain which, even if "unclogged, " will not reverse dementia.

In brief: Absolutely not.

Dr. Timothy Wu
Dr. Timothy Wu