When should I take my child to the dentist for first visit ?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Differen Opinions

I agree with dr hines that the 1st visit needs to be between 2 and 3 years old.
But the american society of pediatric dentists has recommended the 1st visit be about 6 mos. Frankly their reasoning does not impress me, so i still believe 2-3 y/o unless there is a problem.

In brief: Differen Opinions

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
2 comments
Dr. Gregory Hines
2 years is still a bit young to actually do any teeth cleaning, but it gives the child the time to become used to going to the dentist, have them ride in the chair, let the hygienist come in with her mask and gloves, brush their teeth, and help prevent anxiety when they actually do need to clean the childs teeth.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
I couldn't disagree with Dr. Diamond more. There are many good reasons for a child presenting at a Pediatric Dentist's office within 6 months of the first tooth erupting, but no later than age 1. Not the least reason is that children who see a Pedodontist by age 1 rather than a GP by age 2-3 have 40% less dental expenses by age 5. Permanent teeth begin developing in utero. Pedodontist will balance fluoride regimen (waiting 'till 2 is a missed opportunity). Pedodontists are dent-facial growth and development experts, GP's are not. Children need to establish a comfort level in the office, the earlier the better. I see questions all the time on HealthTap about children with tooth damage not discovered until damage is severe, and not just from baby bottle syndrome. Did you take your own child to a pediatrician, or did you wait until age 2 to take them to a GP? As an Orthodontist I see a higher dmf count in children presenting for ortho care from GP's offices than from Pedodontists offices. Were talking about kids...give them every break you can. And, oh yes, there are teeth cleaning techniques for children as young as 1 that are very comfortable and effective.
Dr. Garron Miller

In brief: 2 years of age

If no other dental conerns.
The american academy of pediatrics recomends by 2 years of age.

In brief: 2 years of age

If no other dental conerns.
Dr. Garron Miller
Dr. Garron Miller
Dr. Gregory Hines

In brief: About 2 years

I generally have parents call a dentist at about 2 years, as this is when most children have all of their teeth.
If your child is having dental pain or problems, then you should do it earlier in life.

In brief: About 2 years

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Helena Bentley
It is now recommended that children see their dentist by age 1 yr.or when they get their 1st tooth.
Dr. Julia Block

In brief: First tooth comes in

http://www.aapd.org/publications/brochures/babycare.asp.

In brief: First tooth comes in

Dr. Julia Block
Dr. Julia Block