How long should I take Fosamax (alendronate) ?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: 2 years
Take it for 2 years until you have a follow up DEXA scan done to evaluate the improvement in your bone density.
It is debatable on how long you can take biphosphonates (the class Fosamax (alendronate) belongs to). Some say you may take it indefinitely, while other recommend taking it for 4-5 years and then take a "holiday" for a year or two. As i mentioned, take it for 2 years and see what happens.

In brief: 2 years
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Ario Kiarash
Do not forget the rash of new fracture non-unions associated with bisphosphonates. Blocking the action of the osteoclasts will a sol block the first step in bone healing. I currently recommend rotating the drug regimen between, bisphosphonates, calcitonin and agonists, and HRT every 6 months to avoid large blocks of bone deposited that have calcium phosphate rich cortices.
Dr. William Forsythe