Does twisting your knee to the left or right with pain indicate a medial meniscus tear? If I move my knee that way the pain is unbearable

Sounds like tear. What you are describing in orthopedics is called the apley's test and is characteristic of a meniscus tear. Similar pain can occur if you have some arthritis in this compartment of the joint. Agree that you should see an orthopedic surgeon particularly if catching, swelling and/or giving way is occurring. They will consider an MRI to better define the pathology.
Meniscus tear. Consult a sports medicine doctor or an orthopedist. It sounds like a damaged meniscus.