I have lumbar spinal stenosis and have had four back surgeries. I also have nerve damage in my legs and feet.I feel extreme burning and tingling. Now they want to puta spinal cord stimulator (scs) in. Is it a good idea?

Dr. Marshall Bedder
Pain Management

In brief: Medically Sound

One cannot generalize for every patient and their own particular situation.
In general, if a patient has been adequately decompressed, as you have been with 4 surgeries, and still has residual or continuing neuropathic pain they would be considered an excellent candidate for SCS at first assessment. Further spinal surgeries have not been seen to help and may in fact worsen your situation.

In brief: Medically Sound

Dr. Marshall Bedder
Dr. Marshall Bedder
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Good idea

Do the trial then implant i if it works, has out performed revision surgery in studies no reason to think a fifth surgery would be helpful burning pain could be permanent nerve damage with no structural solution blocking the transmission of afferent impulses makes sense to me.

In brief: Good idea

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
A stimulator is a great option, if you pass a baseline psychologic evaluation and a percutaneous trial of the stimulator. Also, your doctor should make sure that your surgeries have healed correctly before you proceed with the trial.
Dr. William Gaya
Neurology

In brief: Neuromuscular

Spinal cord stimulator is used for severe lumbar and radicular pain when all other alternatives have failed.
Failed back syndrome after multiple surgeries and failure to respond to standard therapy like antidepressants, antiepileptics, analgesics, muscle relaxer, anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy, tens acupuncture, and epidural block are the best indications for a scs.

In brief: Neuromuscular

Dr. William Gaya
Dr. William Gaya
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: Reasonable

This is a reasonable option if you respond well with a scs trial.
Good luck.

In brief: Reasonable

Good luck.
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught