Would like to switch to st.Johns wort from 20mg of Prozac (fluoxetine) because of side effects been on Prozac (fluoxetine) for 8 mos. How soon could I do this?

Dr. Robert Woods

In brief: Thirty-Five Days

Every medication has a half-life.
This is the time it takes the body to eliminate one half of the med. I consider a medication to be eliminated after 5 half-lives. When the body begins to breakdown prozac, (fluoxetine) one of the byproducts is an active metabolite that has a half-life of 7 days. It takes about 35 days for total elimination. One should not take st. John's wort until Prozac (fluoxetine) is eliminated.

In brief: Thirty-Five Days

Every medication has a half-life.
Dr. Robert Woods
Dr. Robert Woods