Dr. Chevies newman, does mthfr mutation prevent body from processing folic acid or doing it well? I hear it takes time to build up folate. As i didn't start that early, I am worried about neural tube defects.

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: He's right but...

Since you are heterozygous you will be able to convert some Folic Acid to the active l-5-mthfr form. Also, hopefully your diet had adequate folate (folic acid) from green leafy veggies etc.
Because 30% of people have folate (folic acid) metabolism issues i advise women to take prenatals that have the l-5-mthf form. If worried you can get imagining studies to check for neural tube defects.

In brief: He's right but...

Dr. Chevies Newman

In brief: Hi, I think I answer

Your question incorrectly earlier. I reviewed the mutation, not an issue with clotting, couldn't get back to change answer. I'm not aware of this gene as causative for neural tube defects, the issue is mostly theoretic and any increase would be minimal.
Neural tube defect numbers are smaller than the heterozygous mtfhr mutation rate, nevertheless i would recommend l-methylfolate during 1st 8wk.

In brief: Hi, I think I answer

Dr. Liza Kunz
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: MTHFR Heterozygote

Being a heterozygote for mthfr is quite common.
I'm glad you are on folate (folic acid) now, but this should not increase your risk of ntd over the baseline population, as your serum folate (folic acid) is almost certainly normal.

In brief: MTHFR Heterozygote

Dr. Adam Levy