My daughter has lupus & arthritis one of meds is hydrocodone for pain. Her husband refuses to let her take them. What can she do shes in so much pain?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Lupus and great pain

Very potentially serious disease, but I have never had to manage sle with hydrocodone.
Don't believe lupus per se needs the drug. Some complications of therapy, such as avascular necrosis might this, but this would be uncommon. Make sure your daughter is being managed by a rheumatologist!

In brief: Lupus and great pain

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: See details

This is an impossible situation.
She needs to take her husband to the next doctor's appointment she has so the doctor can explain the need for pain meds and answer the husband's questions. I am also a little leery of using drugs such as hydrocodone if the pain is related to lupus. The disease needs to be treated and hopefully the pain will improve.

In brief: See details

This is an impossible situation.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Laurentiu Boeru
Anesthesiology

In brief: Arthritis

Did she try medicines that are known for reducing the flareups in lupus disease? Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) (antimalaria drug), corticosteroids, or immune suppressants such as Cyclophosphamide (cytoxan), azathioprine (imuran, azasan), mycophenolate (cellcept), Leflunomide (arava) and Methotrexate (trexall).

In brief: Arthritis

Dr. Laurentiu Boeru
Dr. Laurentiu Boeru
Dr. Timothy Silver
I agree, she should see a Rheumatologist.
Dr. Jane Van Dis