How quickly do I need thyroid surgery when a 1.1cm nodule has been biopsied as probable papillary carcinoma ? Thyroid hormone levels normal.

Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Within weeks

It should be removed within a reasonably short amount if time, but it is not an emergency.
Don't put it off, but also don't be concerned if it can't be done in a week or two.

In brief: Within weeks

Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Michael Nordstrom
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Timing

There is no urgency however in my practice , and other doctors as well i assume, once a diagnosis of cancer, or probable cancer, has been rendered there is no advantage to waiting for surgery.
Likely there will be significant change if done in weeks to a few months, but there are of course no guarantees. Do it when it is the least inconvenient as soon as you can.

In brief: Timing

Dr. Michael Nordstrom
Dr. Michael Nordstrom
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Soon

Take the time to find an experienced thyroid surgeon.
Complications increase when the surgeon is less experienced. In your age group most would recommend a total thyroidectomy for papillary cancer (you may need an intraoperative frozen section - so the skills of your pathology department are also important). Management of lymph nodes in early papillary cancer is controversial - get an expert!

In brief: Soon

Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Gregory Hines

In brief: ASAP

As soon as your surgeon can schedule it.

In brief: ASAP

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery