I recently lost thirty pounds and I have sleep apnea. Will the snoring go away since I lost the weight? I feel great and ready to pack up the cpap.

Dr. Phil Zapanta
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Good job!

Congrats on the weight loss! weight loss can definitely play a big role in the treatment of snoring and sleep apnea.
The amount of weight to loss varies from patient to patient. Te only way to know if you can get rid of the CPAP is to repeat the sleep study. You should contact your doc for this.

In brief: Good job!

Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. William Jakavick
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Weight loss

First congratulations on your weight loss.
Keeping it off is the hard part for me. How bad was your sleep apnea and losing weight alone does not cure sleep apnea. I would not pack up the CPAP without consulting your dr first, maybe another sleep study at you new weight is in order, but many slender and healthy people suffer from apnea, weight gain worsens the problem. Keep up the good work.

In brief: Weight loss

Dr. William Jakavick
Dr. William Jakavick
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dentistry

In brief: Not quite yet

Congratulations on losing the weight! while obesity is one factor involved with osa, it is not the only one.
Best would be to be retested with a overnight sleep test before packing up the cpap. Good news is there are overnight take home units available that don't require going to a sleep clinic for testing.

In brief: Not quite yet

Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. Sal Aragona
Dr. Gregory Hines

In brief: Sleep study

I would recommend you have another sleep study without the CPAP to see how you do.

In brief: Sleep study

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Vikas Jain
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Should Confirm

It would be best to confirm if your sleep apnea has resolved with a sleep study.
Losing 10% of weight can lead to a 30% improvement in the severity of your sleep apnea. However, just because you feel great, you should ensure that your sleep apnea has indeed resolved (and best way is with a confirmatory psg). Many bariatric surgery patients still have osa despite weight loss surgery.

In brief: Should Confirm

Dr. Vikas Jain
Dr. Vikas Jain
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Also, a thirty pound weight loss or gain can be an indication for retitration anyway.
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Maybe

If you are still snoring you probably need the cpap, possibly at a lower pressure.
A sleep study would be needed. You might need to loose more weight depending on where you started.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. John Chastain
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Good for you!

Excess weight does contribute to sleep apnea.
Having lost 30 pounds likely makes your airway much better. If you had mild osa to begin with, you may no longer need cpap. If your apnea was more severe, you will likely need to continue, but possibly at lower pressure. After losing lots of weight or every 2-3 years, it is recommended to get an updated sleep study to ensure appropriate CPAP levels.

In brief: Good for you!

Dr. John Chastain
Dr. John Chastain

In brief: Maybe

Great going with the lifestyle change, but there are many really thin individuals that suffer from sleep apnea for a number of reasons.
Excess tissue in the throat, allergies, etc. Should possibly have a new sleep study. Don't make the decision on your own.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman