If I increase my intake of calcium can I stop or reverse osteoporosis?

Dr. Lori Wagner
In brief: Not enough
The way i like to explain it.
..Calcium is a building block of bone. The problem is having the building block around isn't enough. You also need a medication to stimulate the incorporation into the bone. Also having vitamin d around is important, so you can absorb the calcium. Plus low calcium or vitamin d will stimulate a gland (parathyroid) to leach calcium from the bone.

In brief: Not enough
The way i like to explain it.
Dr. Lori Wagner
Dr. Lori Wagner
Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: No
You should consume adequate calcium, 1200-1500mg daily, if you have osteoporosis, but the total daily intake should not exceed 2000mg due to health risks.
Calcium alone can't prevent or reverse osteoporosis, but an adequate intake of calcium and vitamin d is needed for any other treatment to work. You should talk to your doctor about medications to improve your bone density such as fosamax.

In brief: No
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
weight-bearing exercise is also important in preventing bone loss (if exercise is possible)
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
In brief: Osteoporosis
Yes but not enough.
By the time you have osteoporosis calcium is not enough to treat it (is like using a band aid for an abdominal wound. For that you need stitches ). Talk to your doctor about osteoporosis medications. They may reverse it to normal bone density. If you smoke, you need to quit.

In brief: Osteoporosis
Yes but not enough.
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Adam Smith