Sore throat with pain?

Dr. Steven Bowers
In brief: Maybe antibiotics
Sore throat can be caused by virus or bacteria.
I would recommend that you see a doctor and get a rapid strep and culture. If it is strep, you will need a prescription for an antibiotic. In the meantime there are lots of soothing otc lozenges for relief of pain. Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin also help with the pain.

In brief: Maybe antibiotics
Dr. Steven Bowers
Dr. Steven Bowers
In brief: Sore throat
If you have a significantly sore throat w swollen tonsils / lymph nodes – see your medical provider ; get a strep throat test ; culture.
Saltwater gargles are helpful. Mix a tsp of salt in 8 oz of warm water – gargle w this several times/day. You can gargle w aloe vera juice a couple of times per day. A mix of chamomile tea w honey ; a small amount of lemon juice is good.

In brief: Sore throat
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine