My big toe is partially numb after my sesamoidectomy 3 weeks ago. Will the numbness go away? How long does this take?

Dr. Daniel Farber
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Probably, months

Depending on what sesamoid was taken out, some nerves can get stretched or damaged.
A stretched nerve will usually recover over a few months but improvement may continue for up to 18 months. A damaged nerve may recover, bit there may be some permanent numbness. Only time will tell and there is not much to do in the meantime.

In brief: Probably, months

Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Numbness

Surgery may cause tissue irritation (expected).
Tissue healing involves the skin, soft tissue , and surrounding nerves. It could take 9 months for healing including the numbness (neuroma). If you can move you toes, then nerve us not damaged. Massage area it helps healing, give it time.

In brief: Numbness

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY