I'm a 49 year old, chinese, menopausal woman. I got a lumpectomy done for a dcis interme grade. It was noninvasive. I have completed 6 weeks of radiation therapy.I have no previous history of breast cancer. Is tamoxifenrequired?

Dr. Michael Sabel
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Not required but

It is an option. It can help reduce the chance of the dcis coming back, as well as the risk of a new, second cancer in the future.
But these risks are low and tamoxifen has its own risks and side effects. You should discuss the pros and cons with a medical oncologist.

In brief: Not required but

Dr. Michael Sabel
Dr. Michael Sabel
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Yes and no

If your dcis was estrogen receptor positive, 5 years of tamoxifen is an acceptable (but not obligatory) option.
It's main effect, though, will be to reduce the odds of getting another cancer in the opposite breast. You need to discuss this well with your med onc and be sure that potential toxicity does not outweigh potential benefits. Hope you get good news every time you visit your doc.

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Breast Surgery

In brief: Yes and No

If your lesion was Estrogen receptor positive there is stronger recommendation in taking Tamoxifen for about 5 years.
It is best to discuss with your medical oncologist or breast surgeon to assess risks and benefits.

In brief: Yes and No

Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham