I get terrible cramps in my hands and at times can't even hold objects or open med bottles. They contort my hands and hurt. What can be wrong?

Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Spasms
Cramps can occur for a number of reasons.
They can be related to activities you are doing, electrolyte imbalance, nerve problems, underlying arthritis, among others. If they are not resolving, contact your physician.

In brief: Spasms
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Arthritis
It sounds like typical arthritis, either osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
Nsaids like Ibuprofen should help, and you need to take it regularly. If not better, be seen by your physician.

In brief: Arthritis
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Carpal Tunnel !
If you need to "open med bottles", you're probably in an age group where carpal tunnel syndrome is an extremely common cause of such symptoms.
Arthritis, especially at the base of the thumb is also a very common cause. You would greatly benefit from an exam by a physician skilled in hand conditions. It is likely that this is something quite "fixable" to make your hand and life better!

In brief: Carpal Tunnel !
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Andrea Brand