I have a hiatal hernia. Lately my stomach has been severely swollen, lots of gas and pain. Is this a result of the hernia?

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Possibly...

Depends what you mean by swollen is your stomach actually distended or does it just "feel" bloated.
Small hiatal hernias are usually without symptoms. Hiatal hernias can be confused with or result in paraesophageal hernias which may result in the stomach becoming strangled and cause bloating, pain etc. But other things can cause those symptoms as well . Best to see a surgeon and get evaluated.

In brief: Possibly...

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery