I'm on birth control and my period has been starting early. When that happens, should I continue the pills like normal or start taking the sugar pill?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Continue

You should continue your pills as prescibed.
If your periods start early every cycle, you may need a different birth control pill.

In brief: Continue

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Take as prescribed

It is common to have some changes in your bleeding pattern on birth control pills.
Sometimes it is in between periods (breakthrough bleeding), and sometimes you can bleed more or less often. Do not start the sugar pills until it is time as that will only make the bleeding more irregular and more important will decrease their ability to prevent pregnancy.

In brief: Take as prescribed

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Jane Van Dis