I am 51, and experiencing extreme shoulder pain. Hurts to move my shoulder, can this be arthritis?

Dr. Ryan Stanton
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Sure

It absolutely can, especially if you have injured it in the past or have an occupation where you use the shoulder a bunch.
I would get it checked out by your pcp, sports medicine or orthopedics.

In brief: Sure

Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Mosy likely other dx

Impingememt syndrome shoulde bursitis better bets DJD of shoulder is fairlfairly uncommon and comes on slowly stiffness is biggest complaint.
Eatry on ac joint arthrist wouldnt be described as severe pain nsaids rest in sling for pain control.

In brief: Mosy likely other dx

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Evan Schwartz
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Probably not

Arthritis usually affects the weight bearing joints such as the hip and knee.
Shoulder pain is commonly a rotor cuff problem, tendinitis and bursitis known as impingement syndrome.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Evan Schwartz
Dr. Evan Schwartz
Dr. Vikram Patel