What should I do if my baby falls down and bumps his head so hard it bleeds?

Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: Go to the ER

Please take the baby to the er to be evaluated.
The cut may need to be sutured and the baby should be examined to look for a more serious head injury.

In brief: Go to the ER

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Scott Katz

In brief: May need stitches.

A baby's head is large compared to its body, so falls commonly result in minor head trauma.
Most falls don't require intervention, but if your child is bleeding, the wound should be examined to see if stitches are required. Besides bleeding, a head injury that causes loss of consciousness, vomiting, unequal pupils, loss of balance, or unusual behavior, also requires a visit to the pediatrician.

In brief: May need stitches.

Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz