How long does it take for ones chest to heal from open heart surgery? And how long does it take to fully recover?

Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Variable
It generally takes a year to fully recover after open heart surgery, though the wounds will be healed after a couple of weeks.

In brief: Variable
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Robert Binford
I typically tell my patients that it takes about 3 months for the breast bone to get to about 70% strength. At that point I usually will let them resume normal activities. Some factors can alter this, however, they include diabetes, smoking, morbid obesity, and being on immunosuppression medications like steroids.
Dr. Frederick Tibayan
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: 6-8 weeks
Usually, the breastbone (sternum) is fused after 6-8 weeks, and you can being working towrds normal activity.
Full recover depends on several things, like how sick you were before the surgery, how smooth your recovery was, other illnesses, nutrition, age, and what you mean by full recovery (jog, fish, play golf, nfl football ...).

In brief: 6-8 weeks
Dr. Frederick Tibayan
Dr. Frederick Tibayan
Dr. Jon Spiers
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: It varies
I have not only performed open heart surgery, I have had it - and i can say with certainty that it is an ongoing process that takes quite a while.
I returned to normal activity in about 6 weeks, but it was not until a year after my surgery that my chest began to feel "right" - allowing me to lift weights and participate in almost all the activities i wanted.

In brief: It varies
Dr. Jon Spiers
Dr. Jon Spiers
Dr. Umesh Patel