I have been having heavy, swollen breasts for the past 2 weeks. I am not pregnant. What could be going on?

Dr. J. patrick Tokarz

In brief: Many things

There are several conditions that can cause the symptoms that you described.
Although some may be benign, there are others that should be treated. I suggest you see your primary care doctor as soon as these symptoms appear.

In brief: Many things

Dr. J. patrick Tokarz
Dr. J. patrick Tokarz
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Cystic changes

This could be related to fibrocystic changes.
Check out your diet-any increase in caffeine containing foods/beverages? Are you under an increased level of stress? If you have not had a mammogram and you are over the age of 40, then you should get one and get a breast exam by your physician. If you are under the age of 40, then you should get a clinical breast exam from your physician.

In brief: Cystic changes

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Jane Van Dis