What should I do if I find a tick on my baby?

Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: Relax
After the normal reaction of being grossed out, it is important to remove it.
Using tweezers as described is perfect. I also have heard that using soft soap on a cotton ball placed on the tick will get it to release. It is important to get it to release and not disconnect the head. At least call your physician about the tick. Then decide if the child needs to be seen.

In brief: Relax
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Scott Katz
In brief: Proper Removal
A tick can be properly removed by using tweezers to firmly grasp the tick's head as close to your child's skin as possible.
Pull firmly and gently until the tick lets go of the skin, and put the tick in a container of alcohol. Do not use a match or petroleum jelly as the tick may burrow deeper and release more saliva, increasing the chance of disease. Take your child and the tick to the doctor.

In brief: Proper Removal
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Shontae Buffington