Intercourse discomfort causes labia minora to swell. Why?

Arousal. With sexual arousal, you get engorgement of the labia, clitoris, vagina, and uterus. The increased blood flow helps supply the needed nutrients for the sperm as they swim to their goal. This swelling may cause your labia to be more painful. Try different positions to see if you can be more comfortable.
Many reasons . Any sexual arousal can make the vulvar structures engorge with blood in the same manner as a penis. However this should not cause discomfort. This may be due to infection, hormonal deficiencies, lack of sufficient lubrication, or mechanical blockage with traumatic injury. At 22 i would first discuss with your gyne and consider lubricants to see if that helps. You may need an examination ; lab work.
More Blood Flow. There is generalized increase blood flow to the genitalia during intercourse/arousal. Sometimes, if the labia minora stretches to the point where they interfere with intercourse and/or wearing of certain clothing etc., labia minora reduction surgery may be indicated.