I am taking 100mg of januvia (sitagliptin) daily. Am i at risk of getting pancreatitis?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Low

Diabetic in general are at higher risk of developing pancreatitis compared to the general population.
No studies so far had conclusively found januvia (sitagliptin) to cause pancreatitis. In clinical practice, we ask our patients to tell us right away if they experience mid epigastric pain while on the drug. We will evaluate then.

In brief: Low

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

But the risk is minimal and the therapy approved and generally quite effective.
There are no medications of which I am aware that do not have some negative potential side-effects.

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Michael Sparacino

In brief: See below

Your risk is not significantly elevate.

In brief: See below

Your risk is not significantly elevate.
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Charles Turck
Pharmacology

In brief: Very low risk

There have been very rare reports of pancreatitis (one place it works is the pancreas), but it does happen, so while not likely, it is considered an emergency.
Things to watch for: severe pain in your abdomen that doesn’t go away (so bad you know something’s wrong) - it may radiate to your back, and you may vomit. If you experience these symptoms, get in touch with your MD or emergency services.

In brief: Very low risk

Dr. Charles Turck
Dr. Charles Turck
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine