What does ringworm look like?

In brief: Scaly and itchy rash
Often confused with dry skin or eczema, ringworm is a fungal infection of the skin, contracted from contact with something or someone contaminated with it.
It appears as a round or oval patch of dry scaly skin, slightly raised above the skin level. It has a well defined border, and can be itchy, additional areas of rash can spread from the initial. It is properly treated with antifungal cream.

In brief: Scaly and itchy rash
Dr. Howard Strassberg
Dr. Howard Strassberg
Dr. Julia Sundel
In brief: Ring
Ringworm causes an itchy, raised, red patch with normal coloring in the center. It is not really a worm.

In brief: Ring
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
In brief: Circular scaly rash
Ring worm or tinea corporis is not a worm but a fungal infection of the top layer of skin.
It usually has a slight raised ring and a scaly center. I t can usually be treated with topical antifungal creams.

In brief: Circular scaly rash
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz