I had a panic attack the other night out of nowhere and have been experiencing separation anxiety. Then I started my period. Could my period be causing it?

No, however. Periods don't cause panic attacks, but you may feel more emotional, and therefore prone to panic attacks just before your period. This is known as premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and is treated with ssris like celexa, prozac, zoloft, and Paxil (paroxetine) just like panic disorder. See a psychiatrist or your pcp to discuss if starting an ssri would be a good fit for these symptoms.
It is possible. There is a tremandous change in th concentrations of hormaones and many people feel anxiety as a result. Maybe you could do something special for yourself when you have your period like call a friend or watch a fvorite tv program or plan to go out to a movie or take a walk somewhere it is beautiful. Hope it gets better soon.