If you know that you are missing medical records and the hospital medical records dept won't help, what athority do you contact? Is there any?

Attorney. I'm not an attorney, but this is a question that would best be answered by one. Under us law, you own your medical record and have an absolute right to it.
Call your doctor. Your physician can get all of your medical records, but you will have to sign a records release.