What does it mean when obgyn says you have a young cervix during colposcopy?

Dr. Renee Harris
In brief: Normal cervix
The cervix will look different under colposcopy at different times in a woman's life.
Before having childrn, the cervix is small and the opening is round. The glandular cells are usually close to this opening. After having a child, the cervix is more open. It is called parous or fish-mouthed. The glandular cells may extend further out. These are normal changes.

In brief: Normal cervix
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Timothy Gorski
In brief: It's a silly comment
It's true that if you have not had a baby pass through the cervix that it tends to look different than a cervix that has not had a baby pass through.
Of course, this also applies to having a baby or babies by cesarean. Truth is, you cannot tell someone's age by looking at their cervix. Your doctor just made an idle comment of no real significance. It happens sometimes. No need to worry.

In brief: It's a silly comment
Dr. Timothy Gorski
Dr. Timothy Gorski
Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Nulliparous
A young cervix refers to how dilated your cervix appears.
Nulliparous women (those who have not had children) have cervices that are more closed than those who have delivered an infant.

In brief: Nulliparous
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. James Carter
In brief: I do not know
You need to ask him/her what was meant by that; it probably meant that your cervix looked youthful and young for your age, but it is a difficult question to answer; I have never told someone that;.

In brief: I do not know
Dr. James Carter
Dr. James Carter
Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
In brief: Nothing serious
It means basically that everything is normal and that your doctor visualized a normal anatomic area called transformation zone.
This zone is more or less visible, depending on your cycle, state of pregnancy, age, even geographic area . Hope it helps.

In brief: Nothing serious
Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
Dr. Valentin Drezaliu
Dr. Adam Levy