Is it okay to skip my Synthroid (thyroxine) medication? I am waiting for a refill and it is taking a long time.

Dr. Michael Silverman
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Yes, but

Missing a couple days should be ok but symptoms of hypothroidism will slowly return if you don't restart your meds.

In brief: Yes, but

Dr. Michael Silverman
Dr. Michael Silverman
Dr. Jennie Law
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Preferably not

It's optimal to keep thyroid levels at a steady level, esp.
If u have other med prob such as heart disease or mood disorder- so always try to plan ahead and refill before running out. Perhaps ask ur dr to change the way prescription is written if that helps ex. Fill 3 months at a time. But the med does have a long half life so missing a few days of you're healthy otherwise is not dangerous per say.

In brief: Preferably not

Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Keegan Duchicela