If my older child had febrile seizures should I expect my newborn to have them, too?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: No, but...
If a sibling has experienced febrile seizures, it is more likely the other siblings will have them, but it is still a rather uncommon occurrence, and though it is scary to experience it should not be considered to be a sign of something ominous.
Good luck!

In brief: No, but...
Good luck!
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Cornelia Franz
In brief: No
I would not expect a newborn to have febrile seizures.
Seizures with fever have their highest incidence in the 6 month to two year age group and usually subside by age 5. Having one child with febrile seizures will make you more aware as a parent for the nuances in the sibling. I agree they are scary but are not dangerous.

In brief: No
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
In brief: No
Although there is a higher incidence of febrile convulsions in children whose parents have had them it is more likely your child won't.
Febrile convulsions are a scary but not dangerous condition.

In brief: No
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz