My doctor prescribed metronidazole for possible vaginal infection. I'm breastfeeding fulltime, will this affect my baby?

Allison Greco
General Practice

In brief: Nope!

Metronidazole can come in oral or vaginal suppository forms.
The suppository form is not absorbed through your blood stream in the same way as the oral form, and is even safe enough to use during pregnancy. Additionally, the american academy of pediatrics have found no studies that have demonstrated negative effects on your baby if you use the oral form during breastfeeding.

In brief: Nope!

Allison Greco
Allison Greco
Answer assisted by Allison Greco, Medical Student
Chethan Sarabu

In brief: No it should not

If you are every worried about medications being passed on through breastmilk check out lactmed: http://toxnet.
Nlm.Nih.Gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?Lact it is an excellent resource from the national institutes of health and provides trusted information on any compound. They also have apps for smart phones.

In brief: No it should not

Chethan Sarabu
Chethan Sarabu
Answer assisted by Chethan Sarabu, Medical Student
Dr. Jonathan Jassey